Weather Station… Installed

Posted by on Jul 23, 2017 in Tech | No Comments

This took a little longer than I expected, but there is a very good reason. While I was researching the next step in coding for this adventure, I stumbled upon a very interesting piece of software. The software is called Home Assistant. I’ll get into deeper detail about it and what I am doing with it a little later. This post is about hardware.

I am happy to report everything went as smooth as I had hoped. I soldered the other side of the cat5 cable to another Pi Zero. The Pi in the pics is soldered to the adapter I use to connect it to the breadboard, so that one will always be my testing unit. I soldered the wires, moved the micro SD card, and deleted the DHCP lease.

The DHCP server picked up on the new MAC address and updated the DNS server without a hitch. It took a minute or two, but it started reporting the correct time and temp like a champ. I shut it down and I grabbed my drill and hammer. I have been thinking about how I wanted to install it outside for a while. I wanted it to be protected as well as get an accurate reading of the temperature and humidity.

If anything, I erred on the side of not enough protection. Hopefully it will survive the winter. What I did is I got a small lid about the size of a quarter. I drilled a hole in it and I screwed it to the soffit above my deck. I then I put the seal back in the lid to protect the circuit from the metal screw and hopefully any moisture that might leak around the screw. I then hammered a nail into the lid though a hole in the circuit. I then set up the wires so any water should collect at the lowest part of the wire and not on the electronics. We’ll see if it survives the winter.

I fastened the cat5 cable to the soffit and routed it to the power outlet. I put the Pi in a dry place and covered it with gaffer’s tape. It is rather crude, definitely an alpha type setup. I have an idea to attach a heat sink, solder some power leads, and completely coat it in a water proof epoxy. But I can’t keep this project waiting for that.

The next step now is to get it to talk to my Home Assistant installation. I’ll keep you posted.